Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bitte ein Bit

On the way home today I stopped to get some beer. Normally I'll get a slab of Pabst, but I didn't want to drive all the way across town to the store that has it cheap, so I went to the liquor store nearest my work. Low and behold! Their price for Pabst was about the same as for Bitburger. This is the German equivalent of Budweiser, which is to say that it is the number one selling beer in Germany and not to say that it's crap. So I came home with a case. The last case. Now it is helping me keep writing my resume even though I know that no one wants to write a resume almost as much as no one wants to read one. So I'm trying to write a resume that someone wants to read; boy it ain't working. I get bored reading my resume. It's all Blah blah did this, and blah blah did that, worked on this antiquated system that you've never heard of and probably couldn't spell if all the letters jumped into your alphabet soup in the correct order, and by the bye I'm really good at this, great at that, and if you hire me I'll triple your productivity, cure your dog's mange, and make you appear is if Mother Theresa was your protege. What I really want to say is, " Yeah, this is what I've done 'till now, and I really don't wish to do it anymore. I'm a pretty good joe with a great work ethic if I like what I'm doing, but If your stupid job bores me you may as well push a rope uphill because you'll get more out of that than out of me - challenge me, let me run, allow me my whims and you'll never be disappointed." But seriously, Mr. or Mrs., (or even Ms.,) Human Relations probably doesn't have the sense of humour to let that one go into the 'look at' pile. So I guess I'm going to play the damn game a little more, put my money on red or black when I really know that 00 could hit, and join the lice infested, ought to be eaten by the cat or at least chased by the dog, rat race.

But I'm not bitte.

Post Script:
If any one knows a professional resume writer, please put a tyre iron in their head; they're just perpetuating this whole damn thing.


6 comments:

Livengood said...

I'm depressed about your resume just reading about you writing your resume. Back off, take another slant at it, cut to the chase, get an injection of hope or something! Otherwise it will never be anything even a Mother would read!! Easy for me to say? NOT, but maybe you are trying to hard? Heck, I don't know, I just know that brick wall is going to give you a skull fracture eventually.

JimR said...

what she said..

I write crappy resumes, so do most people. Fortunately, most HR places don't care. As long as the info is there, and readable.

Consider using a temp service, they can often be helpful in the resume dept also, since they want to place you (at a fee, from the prospective company natch) Make them work for you.

Xpopher said...

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. Planned mediocrity. Normally I plan for near perfection and stop off at mediocrity for a break, become obsessed with something shiny and leave my project at the station like a cheap raincoat on a sunny day.

But think how much more I could accomplish if I planned to do a half-arsed job of something.

Why I could do anything.

Livengood said...

"SHE" said??? How many times have you heard who "SHE" is???......however am in a forgiving mood this morning. Otherwise, good advice and pretty soon xpopher [really think it should have been Penfold] will get that resume shining. Maybe we are agonizing about this too much anyway?

JimR said...

some things are predictable :)

Not saying to do a crappy job, but not to sweat making something perfect, without a good reason. Matter of matching resources to gains.

US unemployment rate is at around 4%, which is considered full employment as there are always people moving around. Don't know specifically about OK, but here in Seattle, employers are pretty desperate for decent workers, how else do you think *I* got a job?


I hear you on the "boring, I am outahere" thing though. Fortunately, I don't have that problem at the moment.

Livengood, check out names.whitepages.com you can enter a surname, and get a spread of states with how many of that surname are in the phone book, kinda cool for the less common surnames, not so much use for smith & etc though :)

Anonymous said...

The horrible thing is that HR stands for "Human Resources"; you're not a person or even a set of skills to that lot, you're just a resource. Bleh! Definitely shine them if they don't think you're worth their time--they aren't worth yours.