Thursday, July 26, 2007

How much can you download?

I have had some issues lately with my internet provider, (hughesnet - satellite.) Mainly that it goes out often. I normally associate these outages with the weather, but upon arriving home today, I found, or rather did NOT find, the internet. I ran my usual tests, and called Ramjam Fulla at tech support, (if you don't know, don't ask.) He reckoned that I'd exceeded my alloted download capabilities, i.e. downloaded too much stuff. Now, I've downloaded music, and streaming radio before, but I've never downloaded too much stuff. So I says to myself, "self, who's been downloading stuff on your connection?." And I answers myself, "not you, you've been at work. Not Dawn, she's in Alaska. Who's been here?..........Zachary has been here." So thanks to the Goldilocks deduction theory Zach now owes me and extra $10 per month for downloading crap.


by the by, Zach got a job, (and actually turned up for it,) and passed his, (written,) driving test. Next thing you know, he'll be paying the rent he owes us.




now if I can just get the damn dogs to get jobs..................

7 comments:

Livengood said...

Well, "shut my mouth" and other erudite comments. I will wait and see what happens.

JimR said...

Download too much? not sure I understand that....

I only have a 4-8 MB/s link, and it's usually going gangbusters on torrent files (yes, legal ones, distros mostly) Comcast doesn't seem to care, although they have other annoyances instead. All balances out I suppose.

Xpopher said...

Hughesnet policy for making money I suppose. I ought to look at the specs, but I'm fairly sure Zack's been watching a lot of on-line movies and TV shows since we don't have cable. And we got the basic satellite package so the limits are pretty low. Can't wait till they build houses across the street and Mr. Cable comes to visit.

channel thirteen said...

I didn't know Zack was living with you! Sneaky sneaky, bubba! I haven't seen him since forever.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, anything that you use the connection for will use up some of that limit. Even if you're playing a video game that's using the limit. But downloading songs and movies saps the connection faster, for sure.

Xpopher said...

Thanks Ned, maybe you could drop the price for a crotchety old Vet, eh?

Livengood said...

Ned Hughes, Maybe you could reduce the price if xpopher could bring another customer into the fold as well. am considering... Make us an offer.