Monday, July 30, 2007

Human relations dept. strikes first blood. Point to HR

I finally re-engineered my resume. I reset my paradigms and shifted the focus of my efforts towards correct formatting, tuning the content towards the specific position I'm applying for, doing away with all acronyms and technical jargon, and generally making the product easy to read. It looked pretty good too. I even had a nice cover letter and everything.

Then I checked out the HR site at John Zink, (that's the firm I'm applying at,) and golly gee I'm glad I did. Here's the hidden rule that you have to look for, I wonder how many more there are?

Resume formatting tips
  • Use only Helvetica, Arial or Times Roman Fonts
  • Use 10, 12 or 14 point size fonts
  • Make sure the entire document is left justified
  • Set margins for approximately 65 characters
  • Use spaces or dashes to emphasize text
  • No bullets
  • No Graphics, including Wing Dings or special characters

So now it's off to refont, rejustify, debullet, remargin, deunderline, debold, and rewrite.


Bugger.

1 comment:

Livengood said...

I have spent several days trying unsuccessfully to get my blogger/google account sorted out so that I can comment. Now I can't remember what I was going to say! OOPS, there it is floating past in my chugging brain. My take on the situation re: John Zink is that you had a lucky escape! I mean, why would anyone and you in particularly want to work for such a hidebound/regulation ridden company? How lucky you were to have discovered their non-humane factor before getting any further into their maze of infomatic gobblegook! The other great thing is, it helped you to really hone your resume! So on reflection maybe you should send them a thank you card? no...