Sunday, August 19, 2007

An understanding of Digital watches

I haven't posted in a little while, not because I've been lazy, but because of computer troubles. I lost the adapter for the power supply on my windows box the other day and haven't had time to replace it. I thought that this would be the ideal time to get the Linux box functioning again. And so it was, I suppose. Had the usual teething problems, everything except the wireless worked fine. But what's the point of a laptop if you have to plug it into something? After a couple of v.frustrating sessions loading and unloading stuff and generally messing around with the programs I found this. Worked as advertised, trouble free and quick to install. I feel as if I have an understanding of computers...............

So I'm back online, and here's the full quote from Time Bandits for those that didn't get the reference.


"Evil Genius (David Warner) When I have the map, I will be free, and the world will be different, because I have understanding.

Robert (Derek Deadman) Understanding of what, master?

Evil Genius Digital watches. And soon I will have understanding of videocassette recorders and car telephones. And when I have understanding of them, I shall have understanding of computers. And when I have understanding of computers, I shall be the Supreme Being! God isn't interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time: forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!

Robert Slugs.

Evil Genius Slugs! He created slugs! They can't hear, they can't speak, they can't operate machinery. If I were creating the world, I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would've started with lasers, eight o'clock, day one."




1 comment:

Livengood said...

Oh, charming, that is! Just the encouragement I needed! There is only one choice left to me.. when the "annual visit" is over, I had already decided that I was going to do the "Hughes.net" thing, so guess who just voluntered to come and install it????