Friday, August 24, 2007

Partly cloudy; chance of job.

For all of you familiar with British radio announcements and/or Mike Harding,

"This is a warning for all shipping in the Oklahoma area: Bugger off, there's no water."

But seriously. I've been quiet of late, lot of stuff on my plate. Got some responses on my job hunt - only one seems likely to pan out. But still, thats good. Nice job, some travel, (well mostly travel,) but home on weekends. No idea what the pay is yet, but it should, nay must, be good.

Now that I'm fairly sure that my future employment will have a 50-70 mile commute I've decided that, (if and when necessary,) I shall buy a commuting vehicle. That is to say a vehicle that fits only one niche - commuting 100-140 miles a day. If you know me, (and you probably do if you're here,) you know that that means I'm getting a new bike. But what fits like a glove? I'm looking at the Honda Silverwing, Suzuki Bergman, and Yamaha Majesty. All "maxi-scooter's" all with good mileage, and all with great element protection. Of course they're all scooters too, so I don't have to worry about scaring old biddies at stop lights - really, even I won't look dangerous on a scooter. I'm leaning towards the Bergman at the moment, but that could change quickly - I need to find the one that fits the commute role, and not the cool role. I'll figure it out in the end.

I actually can't wait to get back to honest-to-god bike commuting, I really miss it. I have several bikes in the stable that I could use, but none that would deliver the comfort and mileage of a maxi-scooter. I can't imagine commuting for long on the Triumph (at 34mpg/120mph) or the Ural (at 40mpg/55mph) The BSA is right out because I have to be able to trust it and it's, well, a BSA. A new scoot with good MPG and a dependable name that can pay itself off in gas savings, or at least reduce the cost, is what I'm after.

I suppose I could buy a cage..........

I'll let you know what I think after I get a couple of test rides in.



Cheers

4 comments:

JimR said...

Oi! I'll have you know that I commuted on that BSA for 3 years!

It's reliable, if you fiddle with it a bit, and rebuild the engine every 10-12 thousand miles.

And try not to ride in the rain.

*and* it got 55MPG at 55MPH.

even if bits did fall off from time to time.

Anonymous said...

The Honda's the most comfortable 2-up if that's a consideration. Otherwise it seems to be a matter of "who's giving me the best deal?" Is this a sign of aging among the intensely independent bohemian: buying a more practical bike?

Xpopher said...

It's a sign of aging all right, I've spent too many miles riding a 2X4 and now I'd like to ride a comfy chair. I'd also like to leave a little money in my pocket when the pump stops. I've been seriously looking at the Burgman 650 - seems to have good reviews from its owners. But so does the Honda. So many (2) choices. I hadn't heard that the Honda was the comfiest for the pillion - that is a consideration. I'll just have to test ride them both. (Yep, we have a dealer near here that will let you test ride, must be the only one left.)

If you know owners of either machine I would welcome their input.

JimR said...

But it's an automatic! that's just... wrong!